To celebrate National Vegetarian Week we have made this warming (shouldn’t really be necessary in May but sadly is) chilli.
- 1 tablespoon of Olive oil
- Half an onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ inch of fresh turmeric, chopped.
- ½ red chilli, chopped (more if you like it hot)
- ½ of a sweet potato, chopped into cubes
- ¼ of a celeriac, chopped into cubes
- ½ a leek, sliced
- 1 beetroot, chopped into cubes
- ¼ of a red pepper
- 1 tin of good quality tomatoes
- 1 tin of kidney beans (or a mixture of your favourites)
- 1 heaped teaspoon of Mellow Cao
To serve: Tortilla and Rice
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy based pan over a medium-high heat and add the onion and garlic, cook for a few minutes then add the cumin, chilli and turmeric.
Add the prepared vegetables to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes to ensure the veg gets coated in the spices, stirring occasionally ensuring if doesn’t stick.
Mix the Mellow Cao with a small amount of hot water and add to the pan with the tinned tomatoes and beans, stir well and simmer for around 20-25 minutes.
Serve with tortilla, rice and soured cream.